HIGHWAY SAFETY – Red Cross of New Jersey
1. If driving, check the weather along your route and plan for travel around any storms that may be coming. Watch weather predictions for your entire route so you know what to expect along the way.
2. Buckle up, slow down, and don’t drive impaired. Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
3. Be well rested and alert.
4. Follow the rules of the road.
5. Use caution in work zones.
6. Observe speed limits – driving too fast or too slow can increase your chance of being in a collision. Don’t follow another vehicle too closely.
7. Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
8. Clean your headlights, taillights, signal lights and windows to help you see, especially at night.
9. Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches, or if you are using your windshield wipers due to inclement weather. Don’t overdrive your headlights.
10. If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.
11. DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE